我們使用 Cookie 來記住您的功能及個人功能選擇,以提升您使用我們網站的體驗。繼續使用我們的網站即表示您同意使用 Cookie。請參閱我們的私隱Cookie 政策,以了解詳情。

Skip to main content

The Greenwich Auction / 1957 Aston Martin DB2/4 MkII Fixed Head Coupe Coachwork by TickfordChassis no. AM300/1275 Engine no. VB6J/898

拍賣品127
¤
1957 Aston Martin DB2/4 MkII Fixed Head Coupe
Coachwork by Tickford
已修改
2022 年 6 月 5 日 10:00 EDT
格林威治,W. R. Berkley Corporate 總部

成交價:US$134,400(包括佣金)

擁有類似藝術品?

上網提交您的藝術品,以獲取免費拍賣估價。

如何委託拍賣

尋找類似藝術品?

我們的 Collector Cars 專家可以協助您在拍賣會上或透過私人洽購找到類似物品。

尋找本地專家

Ask about this lot

1957 Aston Martin DB2/4 MKII Fixed Head Coupé
Coachwork by Tickford

Chassis no. AM300/1275
Engine no. VB6J/898

2,922cc DOHC Inline 6-Cylinder Engine
2 SU Carburetors
140bhp at 5,000rpm
4-Speed Manual Transmission
Front Independent Suspension – Live Rear Axle
4-Wheel Drum Brakes

*Incredibly rare, believed to be one of only four left hand drive Fixed Head Coupes
*Formerly in the collections of 'Bob' Pond and Chuck Schwimmer
*Believed to have been owned or used by David Brown's wife
*Offered from long term private ownership


THE ASTON MARTIN DB 2/4

The need to widen the appeal of the already-successful DB2 resulted in the launch in October 1953 of the 2+2 DB2/4. Extensive revisions to the car's rear end arrangements made room for two occasional seats and more luggage, the latter being accessed via a hatchback rear door, one of this now-common feature's earliest applications. In addition, a raised roofline, one-piece windscreen, larger bumpers and other detail styling changes differentiated the newcomer from its predecessor. Otherwise, the DB2/4 remained much the same as the DB2, employing the latter's rectangular-tube chassis, trailing arm independent front suspension and well-located live rear axle. The W O Bentley-designed, 2.6-liter, six-cylinder, twin-cam power unit came in tuned (125bhp) Vantage specification as standard for the 2/4. Despite this, the redesign's inevitable weight gain was not fully compensated for until the arrival of the 3-liter, 140bhp engine in 1954. The car's top speed was now 118mph (190km/h) with 60mph (97km/h) reached in around 11 seconds.

David Brown's acquisition of Tickford Ltd in 1953 led to bodywork for the revised MkII model, launched at the London Motor Show in October 1955, being manufactured by the Newport Pagnell coachbuilder. For the first time there was a third body type on offer: a fixed-head coupé in 'notch back' style. Very attractive, the latter afforded accommodation similar to that of the drophead version but was priced the same as the three-door sports saloon.

While mechanically very little different from its predecessor, the DB2/4 MkII was readily identifiable by its subtly altered lines, the most significant change being a ¾" increase in roof height that afforded greater headroom. Flashing indicators and discreet tail fins made an appearance, as did chromed trim strips running from the front wheel arch tops to the door shuts, below which the bonnet sides were now fixed, thus lightening the bonnet assembly. Interior improvements included better seats and a proper fly-off handbrake. The Aston six had been enlarged from 2.6 to 3.0 liters part way through production of the DB2/4 MkI and continued unchanged in the MkII, though a special series VB6J engine suffixed 'L' or 'L1' producing 165bhp was available as an option. Of the 199 DB2/4 MkIIs produced up to October 1957, saloons accounted for the majority with 24 built as drophead coupés, 34 as fixed-head coupés and four supplied as chassis only.

THE MOTORCAR OFFERED

Of the 34 fixed-head coupés made, it is believed that a mere 4 were supplied in left hand drive configuration, making this example one of the rarest of all derivatives of post-WWII Aston Martins.

Chassis number AM300/1275 was sold at public auction in August 2001, having been part of the respected collection belonging to Robert 'Bob' Pond, where it was described as "originally built for and delivered to the wife of Sir David Brown", although this might seem to conflict with the left-hand drive aspect, it further stated that it "was designated for Mrs. Brown to use while in Europe".

Now offered with a copy of its original build sheet, this document neither confirms nor denies such suggestion as no purchaser is actually listed as new, it simply lists B.M.C. as the agent on March 29, 1957, and states that no warranty was issued, so it is hard to establish the validity of this claim, but in any event it is an exceptionally rare example even without the possibility of this provenance. According to the original build information, it was originally painted in Ice Blue over Peacock Blue and had a blue/grey Connolly interior, was fitted with standard Alfin Drum brakes, modified cylinder head rubber blocks fitted.

A later owner was John Gibson of Fountain Valley, California according to updated notes on the record. Changing hands in 2001, then through the Fine Car Store II in La Jolla, by 2006 it was the property of another noted West Coast Collector, Charles 'Chuck' Schwimmer of The San Diego Collection, from him it passed through Tom Papadopoulos's Autosport Designs in July 2006 to the current ownership.

Over the course of the last 16 years, its 1990s restoration has aged somewhat, and the interior leather is now a little dried out. We also noted one missing instrument to the dash panel. Owing to its storage, it has not been attempted to run the car and it should be considered in need of recommissioning prior to road use. Returning it to the road should prove a rewarding experience, and with some tidying of its cosmetics, it would make a great tour car, which is sure to stand out in any crowd of Aston enthusiasts.

Saleroom notices

Please note that the brackets which hold the hood at the front of the chassis have become detached, and it is not able to open properly.

其他資訊