3,486cc OHV Inline 6-Cylinder Engine
2 SU Carburetors
126bhp at 5,000rpm
4-Speed Manual Transmission
Front Independent Suspension – Live Rear Axle
4-Wheel Drum Brakes
*Rare Drophead Coupe version of the elegant MkV
*More powerful, 3½ Liter version
*Clever three-position top
*Accompanied by a massive restoration file
THE JAGUAR MK V
When Jaguar resumed motorcar production after World War II, its new cars were revised versions of the 2½ and 3½ Liter saloons and dropheads from the prewar period. In 1948, Jaguar introduced the MkV, firmly moving out of its pre-WWII roots.
Although Jaguar's new MkV had a strong resemblance to its predecessors, much was new. Most noticeably, the new model featured headlamps gracefully integrated into fenders, and it was now possible to fit full rear fender skirts which only increased the substantial elegance of the MkV saloon or convertible Drophead Coupe version. The final touches for the body came in the form of substantial dual-plane bumpers, which signaled that this was a car to be exported to North America.
What new owners and admirers couldn't see was that the pressed steel wheels completely hid a new hydraulically activated braking system. But there were far more changes: the chassis was entirely new and featured independent front suspension consisting of double wishbones, torsion bars and tubular shock absorbers. Power came from a 2,664cc straight six producing 104 horsepower or a 3,485cc six rated at 126 horsepower.
The standard saloon was attractive, but the three-position Drophead Coupe was truly magnificent. The lovely canvas top had working landau irons and could be fully fastened, folded half way back to give a Sedanca appearance, or lowered into a full convertible position. When open, it was easy to see the opulent leather and wood interior.
THE MOTORCAR OFFERED
Few people had the chance to own a MkV Drophead Coupe not only because just over 1,000 were built, but also due to the astonishing $3,850 price tag. The left-hand drive 3½ liter Drophead Coupe on offer here was hand built on November 9, 1950 and finished in Gunmetal Grey over Red leather with a Black top. Interestingly, while the steering wheel was on the left, the original distributor was listed as Frank Cavey, Dublin, Ireland. Dispatched on March 15, 1951, it appears the Jaguar would not spend much of its life in Ireland as it was later exported to the United States and joined the garage of Harold Samuels of West New York, New Jersey on April 30, 1967. The Jaguar would remain states but appears to have been ravaged by the unfriendly New England climate since by the time it was purchased by Richard Galvani on October 12, 1989, the once stately car was in desperate need restoration. Photos from when the car was purchased are on file.
Mr. Galvani would be the steward of the MkV for 15 years. Immediately upon purchasing the car, he sent it back to the United Kingdom and commenced and extensive and through four year and many tens of thousands of Pounds complete restoration of the car. Nearly 200 pages of receipts and copious photos document the thorough an exhaustive process. It should be noted that the plate on the car is a reproduction and the engine, body, and transmission numbers do not correspond to factory records.
Now finished in Navy Blue with Cream sides and Navy Blue leather and top, the Jaguar was acquired by the current owner in August of 2004. Minimally used since then, the now 30-year-old restoration has held up well over the years, although mechanical servicing is suggested prior to enjoying the car with the top in any of the three available positions. Complete with the aforementioned restoration file, an original owner's handbook, and a Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust Certificate, this lovely tourer is ready for its next owner's love and affection.